Personal Injury FAQs

Q: I have been injured in an accident; what should I do?

A: Regardless of what type of vehicle accident you were in, you should contact law enforcement, your insurance provider, and emergency medical personnel as soon as possible. Additionally, it is important to learn as much information about the others involved in the accident as possible, including their driver's license, contact, and insurance information. If possible, taking photographs of the accident scene as soon as possible will assist in determining exactly what happened and provide important documentation of what occurred.

Even if you feel your injuries are not serious, you should allow the medical personnel who arrive at the scene to treat and examine you. You may have a head injury or internal injuries that are not readily apparent immediately after the impact. Additionally, you should only speak to your attorney and refrain from making any statements to the person who caused the injury or his or her insurance company. Often, after an accident, other parties, particularly the other party's insurance company representative, will attempt to speak to you. You are not required to speak to anyone about the accident or your case, and doing so could potentially harm your recovery.

Q: Who pays my medical expenses if I was seriously injured in an accident?

A: Tennessee is a traditional common law insurance state. This means that there are no limits or restrictions on filing a lawsuit if you believe another's negligence caused your injuries. It also means that you need not worry if your expenses exceed your own insurance coverage, because under the traditional system, you can recover from the person who caused the accident. Our experienced personal injury attorneys will carefully examine the facts of your case and fight to obtain the maximum recovery to which you are entitled. Whether we reach a settlement or obtain a jury trial award, we are dedicated to maximizing your recovery so that you can move on with your life without having to worry about mounting medical bills from an injury that someone else caused.

Q: Do I have a good case?

A: Every personal injury matter is different. Whether you have a good case depends widely on the facts of your specific case and exactly what happened. Additionally, your time to file a case is limited. Tennessee law generally allows you to file a lawsuit in a personal injury negligence action within one year. While this may seem like a long time, it is advisable to consult and retain an attorney as soon as possible to begin representing your rights and interests. Witnesses become unavailable, and memories fade over time. Additionally, proper documentation of your case is an ongoing process that becomes extremely difficult if a considerable length of time passes between an injury and when you obtain your representation.

If you or a loved one has been injured or has died in an accident or personal injury incident, you need experienced legal representation to ensure that your rights are being protected and you receive the maximum recovery to which you are entitled. The attorneys of Menefee & Brown, P.C. are experienced personal injury attorneys, and we are dedicated to providing superior legal representation to each of our clients. Contact Menefee & Brown, P.C. for a free initial consultation regarding your personal injury case.